Friday Favorites

I forgot how much I enjoyed chronicling life and things I like here in my little corner of the internet.  Right now I am baking my birthday cake.  I have grand plans for a fun look.  I'll be sure to share the wins and losses on that next week.  

1.  Speaking of baking, I had some spent vanilla beans so I dried them in the oven and ground them up.

 Looks like dirt or coffee grounds, right?  It's vanilla bean powder.  I could mix it with something to make a paste or just use it dry.  So far, dry is my plan.  I mixed it in my vanilla cake and I could tell the difference in the vanilla flavor.  Vanilla beans are so expensive that I had never purchased beans until recently to make my own vanilla.  Because I hate to waste anything I had to find out if I could use those beans.  You can also put them in sugar or salt to make them vanilla scented.  

2.  Check out these flowers!  Matt came home with them after a night of working the census.  He went to a home that had a vineyard and event space.  They were going to open up this summer for weddings and events.  Too bad, it sounds like a nice space.  He said the owner thought they'd just wait until next year.  The owner gave him this huge bundle of lillies.  

3.  Voting is more important now than ever I think.  I choose not to affiliate officially with a party because I think we need both sides.  We need them to quit bickering and come together for our nation.  Here's my obligatory Instagram photo of me after I voted in the primary.  I guess most states are the same in that during a primary you have to choose a party.  But there is always a non-affiliated or non-partisan ballot.

4.  I took a half day on Monday and the weather was like early fall.  Warm, not hot, bright sun.  I grabbed Pickles and went to the living history museum.  We walked around there and I finally found the trail so we walked there too.  She was a big fan of all the old buildings.

5.  I have a new toy.  It's a bug zapper racket.  When the gnats were really bad I needed something to get rid of them.  I tried indoor and outdoor sprays and essential oils.  They helped but didn't get rid of them totally.  They get zapped into oblivion which is fine by me.  

Sharing my link with Friday Favorites

Comments

Popular Posts