Cheese Board: An Easy Appetizer

I was asked to bring appetizers for Thanksgiving.  I wanted something easy but delicious.  Something that would be a crowd pleaser for the early crowd, but be something people could graze on later in the date.  Enter the cheese board!
 



A cheese board is super easy to put together.  If you need ideas just go to Pinterest and search cheese board.  You will be bombarded with ideas from savory to sweet.  The website What's Gaby Cooking? has lots of good ideas as well.

Here was my game plan:
3 cheeses - white cheddar, colby, goat cheese
3 meats - summer sausage, ham, pepperoni (I used turkey)
nuts - almonds
olives - black, because I think green are gross
dried fruit
assortment of crackers
pretty platter and bowls

I bought everything I needed at Aldi.  I ended up making a warm dip with the goat cheese that was super popular and still good when it was room temperature.  It barely lasted that long.

To put together the board I first decided what containers to put the olives, nuts, and fruit inside.  Then I diced the cheddar and sliced the colby.  I sliced the summer sausage and ham.  Then you just start assembling.


The goat cheese dip was easy.  Combine 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with a 4-5 ounce log of goat cheese.  Add half a cup of shredded white cheddar (the recipe called for parmesan but I didn't have any) and some chopped artichoke hearts.  Spread in a pie plate and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  We ate it with the crackers.  Sorry no pictures, it was too delicious to get a photo.  Here is the link to the recipe.

This was a popular appetizer on the whole.  Most of the meat was eaten, we even cut up some more sausage that Matt's aunt brought and added it to the platter.  In fact most of everything was eaten, except the dried fruit.  I took a chance with the tropical mix.  I think it would be best to stick with one type of fruit.  I was going to slice fresh apples but clearly there wasn't enough room on my platter.


My round platter and the black olive dish are from Crate and Barrel.  We got that set for our wedding, one of the things we didn't register for that we got and love! The almond bowl is a ramekin.  The fruit is in a measuring cup from the Pioneer Woman's set.


Comments

Popular Posts