What Have I Been Reading in August?


I've read mystery, Christian, non-fiction, and the Bible this month.  I stayed up late many nights reading just one more chapter this month.  Here's what I read in August.



1.  In the Woods by Tana French - this is the first in a series about the Dublin Murder Squad.  I heard about the most recent one and added that to my list but then realized it was fourth in a series.  I am so glad I started at the beginning.  This is such a great book.  It's long and there's lots of twists and turns.  It really kept me reading.  I stayed up way too late too many nights with this one.  Also, stayed up way too late thinking about what could possibly have happened.  Check this one out if you like mysteries with a police thriller and personal drama. 


2. Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker - This book kept me up late at night.  It's been on my list at the library for a long time.  It's a great read.  A must read.  I wanted to read this book so badly that I put the book and the audio book on my hold list at the library.  I got the book first and then a few days later the CDs came in also.  Matt is listening on his drive to work.  It's the kind of Jen Hatmaker book that even men can appreciate.  I'm telling everyone I know to read it.  




3. The New Atkins Diet - Well, this one did not keep me up late at night. Ha!!  I've got to get that A1C down so I'm taking some tips from here and some tips from the Super Food Swap.  I don't love how much they recommend artificial sweeteners.  But for now I am eating foods that use artificial sweeteners just once a day in the form of a bar and still drinking diet pop.  I can't stand the taste of the packets of artificial sweetener to use in tea or coffee so I just don't use them.  I'm not baking anything right now so no worries on that. 



4.  Bible in 90 Days - I knew the Old Testament was long, but I didn't realize how long!  I have read up through Job and am trucking through the Psalms.  This is the first time I have read through the Old Testament from start to finish.  Here's the common theme I am picking up on - God's love endures, He loves us so much, people are so stubborn.  I'm also thinking how grateful I am for the work Jesus did for us on the cross. 

5.  Food Rules: an eater's manual by Michael Pollan - This is a book I read in about 2 hours.  It's a super quick read.  If you have seen any of Michael Pollan's documentaries then this book will just be a refresher for you.  There are 83 rules for eating.  The basics rules are "Eat food.  Mostly Plants. Not a lot."  Simple things like if your grandmother or great grandmother wouldn't have eaten it then don't.  If a third grader couldn't pronounce the ingredients don't eat it.  If it has more than 5 ingredients don't eat it.  Stick to the perimeter of the grocery store, but be careful.    Treat meat like a side, instead of 8 ounces of meat and 4 ounces of veggies swap it to 8 ounces of veggies and 4 ounces of meat.  It's a great book!


Comments

Popular Posts