May Book Reviews

The House at Saltwater Point by Colleen Coble

Image result for the house at saltwater point



I picked this book up at the Lifeway closing sale.  I really liked this book.  It's set in the Pacific Northwest, which is someplace I really want to visit.  The story focuses on two sisters.  One does home remodeling.  The other is a professor and she disappears.  There is a character that works for the coast guard, who is searching for a drug lord.  The sister and the coast guard guy work together.  There's a love connection, mystery, and adventure.  Bonus: it's mostly PG rated.  Check this one out.  Apparently, it's in a series of books.  I'll check out some of the others.  

Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben

Image result for fool me once by harlan coben



I checked this book out on my library's e-reader app.  I was in Charleston and finished the book above.  I had another book, but turns out it wasn't great.  See my last book in the list.  I needed a good airport  book.  Most of the books I've read by Harlan Coben are good mystery/thriller type books and this one didn't disappoint.

This one is about a woman who's husband is murdered.  He's from a very wealthy family.  Her sister had also been murdered.  There are some great twists and turns in this book.  I don't want to spoil anything so that's all I'm saying.  I recommend this one too.  I liked it!

The Summer Wives by Beatrix Williams

Image result for the summer wives



I checked this book out on my library e-reader app as well.  Just in case the other book stunk.  I didn't get around to reading it.  When I went to Florida to help my parents clean out Joey's apartment, prepare for the funeral, and the long drive home I checked out the audio book version.  I listened to this book on the drive from Florida to KC.  

This book is set on an island between Long Island and Rhode Island.  It centers around the families and the locals. The families are the rich people who summer there.  There's lots of brokenness and family drama.  The main character is Miranda. The story goes back and forth over a course of decades as Miranda travels back to the island after a long time away for reasons I won't spoil.  The author reveals bits and pieces in each section that unveils something that affects the other parts and people of the book.  A really good book.

Mere Hope: Life in an age of Cynicism by Jason Duesing

Image result for mere hope


The cover of this book is deceiving.  I really thought this was going to be a book about finding hope in Christ. I thought I would glean something about cynicism because that is something I fight against.  This book read more like a dissertation than I wanted.  Lots of quotes from other authors, leaning heavily on CS Lewis.  I like CS Lewis, but if I want to read Lewis I'll read Lewis.  So, if you are feeling like an academic book about finding hope in Christ this is the book for you.  I wasn't into it.  

Comments

Popular Posts