Boston Cream Pie Cake

Matt and I took dinner to his parent’s house for Father’s Day.  Well, okay we went through the drive through at Popeye’s Chicken.  But I made dessert.  I searched and searched my Pinterest Sweet Treats board until I found just the right thing.  Cakey, gooey, chocolatey, and rich. 
DSCN5515

Boston Cream Pie Cake!  Yummy!  All the deliciousness of Boston Cream pie but in a 13x9 pan.  You can find the recipe here.  I really didn’t change anything in the original recipe except for making my own chocolate ganache.  I used one box of vanilla pudding and one box of French vanilla pudding.  I thought two boxes of pudding seemed like too much but it was perfect!  Yummy!!  The best part is it was SO easy! 

Here’s how you make it.
Bake a yellow cake mix according to the package directions. 
When you take it out of the oven make the two boxes of pudding. 
Let it sit for a couple of minutes to thicken a bit. 
While that is thickening grab your wooden spoon and poke that cake full of holes. 
Pour the pudding over the cake, spread it out, and push it into the holes. 
Pop it into the refrigerator. 
Once it has cooled completely then start the ganache.
For the ganache you’ll need:
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of butter
5 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Put all of those ingredients into a nonstick sauce pan and whisk until the chocolate has melted.  Remove from the heat and continue to whisk for a couple minutes.  Then pour it over the pudding on the cake.  Back into the refrigerator goes the cake. 
Slice and serve after it has cooled. 
DSCN5517
Look at that pudding oozing out!  That chocolate layer knocks my socks off!  The author of the original recipe said it was better the next day.  I made sure to save myself a piece before sending it to work with Matt.  She was right!

Comments

Popular Posts