September Book Reviews


I've got five books on my list this month.  I read four and gave up on one.  Here they are in order of completion.

Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman  

I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads.  I liked it.  There were some twists and turns and excitement.  But it was almost like it could have been two books with how the story started and ended.  There were some characters that I would have liked to learn more about.  I felt like I had seen some parts in a movie.  A good story, give it a read if you like a story with twists and turns.  


Tailor Made by Alex Seeley 

Four stars from me.  Alex and her husband lead a very popular church in Nashville.  They have a great story of how they came to America to live on mission.  (Yes, other countries are sending missionaries here).  The subtitle is Discover the Secret to Who God Created You to Be. I found some good inspiration, but felt like it was more of her story, parts of which I couldn't relate.  However, this was a really good book and she shared the glory of God through her story.  


The Dream of You by Jo Saxton 

I really liked this book, 4 stars.  I didn't intend to read two books about discovering who you are in a row but that's how the library delivered this month.  I'd say if you are looking for a book on finding your identity and gaining some insight into how God made you, read this one first.  Jo uses examples of women in the Bible and weaves her own story throughout in a relatable way.  


The Fever by Megan Abbott

I finished this one over the weekend and I'm not sure about it.  I ended up giving it 2 stars because it was okay.  It wasn't terrible.  I think there was a lot left unresolved and I don't think this book has a sequel in it.  It had an interesting premise, interesting drama and disease.  


Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

This is the book I gave up on.  I couldn't get into it.  Maybe because I didn't have the actual book in hand.  I checked out the e-book.  I thought I'd love it.  WWII historical fiction?  That's my jam!  I read the first 2 chapters and half of chapter 3 and was so bored with it.  Maybe it's a slow starter.   
  



Comments

Popular Posts