July Book Reviews

I read some good books this month and for the first time I have two books I gave up on.

1.  At Home in the World by Tsh Oxenrider - I picked this up because I have a serious case of wanderlust.  I need a vacation!  This was a memoir of her families trip around the world.  It was fun to read about their adventures and how they planned for a trip like that with 3 young kids.  I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

2.  The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena - Wow!  This was a good one!  I couldn't put it down, it was so full of twists and turns.  I'm not going to give any spoilers so just go get this book.


3.  I've got another book started but I won't finish it until August.  I'll report back. 



The first book I gave up on was The Essex Serpent.  This one drew me in with the fun cover.  I was suspicious.  I thought if this book has to have such a fabulous cover what is it lacking inside.  It would either be the best book of the year or not.  The synopsis made it seem like it was going to be historical fiction with a little mystery detective mixed in.  It very well may have these elements but the build up was so painful for me.  There was so much descriptive language but I didn't feel like I really got or liked the main characters.  So I took it back to the library.  But check out that cover!




The second book I let go was The Knockoff.  It wasn't a bad book at all.  It had that fun predictability I was looking for.  Light, easy, breezy reading for the pool.  It was described as similar to The Devil Wears Prada.  I found myself bored with it and put it down.  It was getting close to the due date and had holds on it so I couldn't renew.  I returned it.  I didn't add it back to my list.  




Comments

Popular Posts