Friday Favorites - No Cake Left Behind




I thought today instead of a list of all my favorites from the week I would share a tip to save your dessert.

I made a carrot buttermilk cake for Easter.  It was supposed to be a layered cake with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting.  I followed the recipe EXACTLY.  Did not make any substitutions, sprayed my pans just like instructed.

You see where this is going.  The cake stuck in the pans.  Both of them.  Ugh!

But the cake was delicious.  My first thought was cake balls.  I had block of white almond bark in the pantry.  I had all the ingredients to make the frosting.  I ultimately decided that was not what I was going for on Easter Sunday.

My next thought was to somehow use the crumbled cake in a new cake.  I had a yellow cake mix in the pantry as well.  But that seemed like too much of an experiment for a holiday where I was hosting a late lunch.

I settled on a trifle.  Here is my Carrot Buttermilk Cream Cheese Trifle.


I also had a vanilla pudding mix in the pantry (I love that I have a pantry now!).  So I mixed the vanilla pudding according to the box, combined it with the cinnamon cream cheese frosting.  Then I layered crumbled cake and the pudding frosting mix.  I served it with cool whip.  People really liked it.  Even Matt who doesn't like carrot cake.  


Another favorite from last week is below.  I set a table for 8 used our new round table and our folding table.  I covered them with the old linens from the farm and had everyone eating in the same room, at the same time.  It was great! 


Linking with Friday Favorites and Friday Loves

Comments

Popular Posts