42


42?  I had to do the math. 

I'm not sure what 42 is supposed to feel like but I feel pretty great!  Matt has really spoiled me like he does always. My phone, inbox, and Facebook wall has been blowing up. 

Jen Hatmaker sums it up pretty well. Her birthday was just a few days before mine. Matt is sure that she would be my bestie if we knew each other in real life. 

I swiped this right off her Facebook wall. She's one of my favorite authors and speakers. 

"I think the best thing I can say about turning 42 is that I am stronger, more resilient, less fragile, and braver than even five years ago.

I was talking to a good friend yesterday about something hard that went down three years ago. My visceral memory from that time was being terrified, shattered, and immobilized. I can't be certain, but I am pretty sure that if that exact scenario happened today, I'd put on a good record, pour a glass of Malbec, call my girlfriends over, and we'd HANDLE IT. Like a bunch of 40-something bosses. And the next day, I'd get back together and get back up and get back out there. 

Don't let anyone tell you that getting older is a tragedy. It most certainly is not. We EARN our laugh lines, we EARN our scars. Our prize for living longer and learning more and living deeper and experiencing struggle is grace, joy, confidence, and gratitude. 

You don't strain inside your own skin forever, dear young ones. You get sharper in the ways that matter and softer in the ways that matter. You wear your mom swimsuit with no shame because you deserve to be near the water. You don't ask permission to be there, you don't apologize for your packaging, and - this is the most exciting - you don't envy the young things. This is their time to be fresh and beautiful. You are for them. You love them. You feel tender and protective of them. 

You are your wonderful, older self and you love it. You love your life, you love your people, you love this little sliver you've been given. 

What a delight! Life is gorgeous. Like Maya A told us: "Life loves the liver of it." Let us be big-time life livers, because this is the only one we get, and I am already halfway through.

Here's to a beautiful second half, sisters!"

Yep, that's about it.  I wouldn't go back to any age for anything. I'd also add peaceful, content, and more myself than I've been in a long time. I'm comfortable with who I am and the life we have. Instead of Malbec I'd pour diet Dr Pepper or a fruity beverage. Here's to another great year. 

Comments

Popular Posts