Italian sausage pasta

I made this so long ago!  It's been sitting in my drafts folder - forgotten.  I don't know how I could have forgotten this Italian Sausage Pasta.  It was so tasty!

I actually, kind of, sort of made this up using techniques from another favorite sausage and pasta dish.  We love this Spicy Sausage Pasta and it shows up in our meal plan frequently.  Well for this Italian version I changed things up using the same method I learned from the spicy sausage pasta.  I love that you just throw in uncooked pasta with the liquids and it cooks all together.  One pot dishes are the best!

You will need:
  • 1 pound of Italian Sausage (I used links and squeezed them out of the casings.  Casing make me gag.)
  • One onion - diced
  • Minced garlic
  • 2 cups of chicken broth
  • 1 can of Italian seasoned tomatoes (regular sized, 14 ounces or so)
  • 1/2 cup of heavy cream (I used skim milk)
  • 8 ounces of penne pasta (any smaller variety would work I think)
  • 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 cups or so of fresh spinach
  • Salt and Pepper to your taste.

1.  First, if necessary, remove your sausage from the casing and brown it in a skillet.  
2.  Toss in that diced onion.
3.  When it's almost browned add garlic.  I used 2 cloves worth of minced from a jar.  
4. Once the sausage is browned drain the fat.  No one wants that!
5. Add the broth, tomatoes, cream/milk, and pasta.  Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, then cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.  I like to stir in the middle to make sure it doesn't stick.  The pasta should be ready.  
6.  Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.  This was going to be my last step.  But it looked like it was missing something.  Something green.  I was going to serve a spinach salad on the side.  I thought why not really make this a one pot wonder.
7.  Stir in fresh baby spinach until the spinach wilts.  The heat from the pasta will wilt the spinach like magic!

We really enjoyed this dish way back in November, maybe even October.  It was so good afterwards I thought I should write this down.  I didn't get a picture until it was already divvied up into plastic containers.  Ha!  Photos are never my best thing.  Oh well!

I hope you'll try it out.  Or at least the inspiration version. 


Comments

Popular Posts