What Have I Been Reading? May 2016




1.  Bossypants by Tina Fey.  Gosh I really wanted to like this book.  I really wanted a good belly laugh kind of book.  Some of the stories were funny.  I laughed a lot at the one about her beauty tips and the one about how the famous Sarah Palin skit was really interesting.  The rest were just okay.  I thought I liked Tina Fey.  I guess I like her movies and TV shows more.  I wonder if I had listened to her read the audio book if I would have thought it was funnier.  If you really like Tina give it a shot. 

2.  Nobody's Cuter that You by Melanie Shankle. This is such a sweet book!  I really enjoyed it.  It's about friendship.  It was a fun read.  I couldn't stop thinking of Mayela and Maggie while reading this book.  I have a lot of new friends in my life that are really great but those two are lifers. 

3.  Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling.  Mindy played Kelly on The Office and has (had?) another comedy.  I didn't realize she is primarily a writer.  She wrote for The Office.  It was an easy read.  She writes about her childhood, her college life, after college in New York, and her start on The Office.  She talks a lot about her friends and her love for comedy.  It was a great pool read.

4.  The Paris Wife by Paula McClain - I mentioned this last week in my What's Up Wednesday post.  We were flying home from Orlando and I knew I would finish the Mindy Kaling book before we landed.  I quick went to the Overdrive app on my phone, connected to my library, and looked to see what was available immediately as an e-book.  This is historical fiction about Ernest Hemingway and his first wife, Hadley.  Admittedly I don't know much about Ernest Hemingway other than he was an author, maybe not known for being the best person, maybe a troubled soul, maybe eccentric, and he had a home in Key West with six-toed cats.  This book was really interesting!  I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is from the point of view of his first wife, which he has said he should have never left her in his autobiography.  It was a change of pace from what I have been reading, which is always nice.  I'm not a big fan of e-books, because I read them on my iPhone but this one was good enough to keep my attention.  I may have to look into more historical fiction.



5.  Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist. This book is just delightful!  It's the second Shauna Niequist book for me.  This book is about life around the table and hospitality.  She has a bunch of recipes in the book that go with most chapters. She tells a story about how she found the recipe, ways she maybe adapted it, and a time that she served it.  This was a library book. But I am going to have to go out and buy it.  Too many recipes I want to try!


It's impossible to pick a favorite this month.  Four good reads out of five is not to bad. 

Linking up.

Comments

  1. I really liked Shauna's book, Bittersweet! Lots of great essays about moments in life that are bitter and sweet. If you haven't read that one yet, I definitely recommend it! I liked it more than her book Cold Tangerines

    Here are my May reads: http://elle-alice.blogspot.ca/2016/05/may-book-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I *heart* comments!

Popular Posts