Patriotic Crochet Wreath

This wreath is perfect for Memorial Day or the 4th of July.  Read on for supplies and simple instructions.  This one is easy peasy if you are a beginning crocheter.


You are going to need navy yarn, red yarn, and white yarn.  These were all in my stash so that part was free. 

I used a G hook.  Also, find your tape measure.  If you don't have a flexible one this is a good excuse to get one.  There are so many uses for it.

I've seen beautiful crochet wreaths over on Attic 24.  She usually finds a foam wreath at a craft store.  You can absolutely use one but I was at Dollar Tree and grabbed a $1.00 pool noodle and the God Bless America star.


Use some duct tape to form a circle.  Now take a look at how little duct tape I used.  Don't do that. 


These pool noodles do not want to stay in a circle.  Do not be shy with the duct tape.  I ended up purchasing a new roll.  I put some gorilla glue on the ends, stuck them together, then taped the heck out of that thing.  I covered about a quarter of the noodle with tape.  Two layers.  Be warned. 


Now it's a matter of measurements.  I knew I wanted about a quarter to be navy with alternating red and white stripes.  I wanted to end on red like the American flag.  I could have done the math to figure out 13 stripes but I didn't go there.

My noodle was 47 inches long and 7.5 inches in diameter.   The blue needed to be at least 11 inches long.  The stripes needed to be 3 inches long.

Crochet Patriotic Wreath Pattern
1.  Using a G hook and blue yarn chain 32.
2.  Single Crochet in the 2nd chain from hook and across, 30 SC.
3.  Chain 1, turn.  SC 30 across. 
4.  Repeat row 3 until you reach the desired length.  In my case, 11 inches.
5. Switch to red and repeat for 16 rows.
6.  Switch to white and repeat for 16 rows.
7.  Repeat red and white until you have reached the appropriate length for your wreath form/pool noodle.
8.  Stitch the ends together around the wreath form. 
9.  Trim edges.
10.  Add embelishments if you want.  I may crochet some stars or white polka dots.


It looks pretty great hanging on my front door! 


Our front yard is so shady I took a photo inside on the kitchen wall (under the lights).

 

Clearly, I'm no professional photographer.  But that's okay. 

Linking up with Tidy Mom & Tatertots & Jello

Comments

Popular Posts