Why do I love crochet so much?

I love yarn.  My favorite thing to do with it is crochet.  It's a crafty skill that means so much to me.  I used to watch my grandma crochet.  When I was really little I wasn't interested in learning.  It was something that people did when they were older.  By the time I was in college I knew it was a skill I wanted to learn and Grandma was more than happy to teach me.  We worked on an afghan together.  You can definitely tell the difference between her stitches and mine.  We used two colors to make a striped afghan so she could show me how to switch colors.  I still have it. I love it!

My grandma made baby afghans for family and friends that were having a babyor grandbaby.  Always.  I was in my mid-twenties and she was in her early 90s.  She was getting to the point of not being able to crochet anymore due to arthritis so she asked me to continue the tradition.  She was in the middle of an afghan for a friend of my mom's.  I finished it while visiting her.  Since I knew it was the last project she would be able to make I kept it.  I made another one for my mom's friend and told her it was from me and Grandma, just as she had requested.  

That was probably 12 years ago.  I still have that baby afghan in a box.  Waiting for the day I can use it....

Me and my grandma, my hero

Comments

Popular Posts