Book Reviews - January and February 2020



I'm five books into the new year and thought now was a good time to share what I've been reading lately.  All but one of the books were read on the kindle.  I always thought I'd be a book person for life but that kindle is super convenient.  I get it now!


1. Pirana by Clive Cussler

43373613

This is a book in a series about a group of mercenary type soldiers that travel around on a ship.  Mom told me I would like these books and I really did.  It was action packed.  The main characters are the good guys, even though they are soldiers for hire.  I don't want to spoil the plot but they are tasked with one job that ends up being quite bigger than they realized.  The story began with a boat getting attacked by a drone and then kind of left that plot line hanging.  Throughout I wondered what was up with that beginning, but it all tied up nicely as the story continued.  Even though this is not the first in the series I did not feel confused about any characters or details.  I gave this 4/5 stars on goodreads.

2.  Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

51101332. sx318 sy475

If you haven't read this yet, run don't walk to the nearest bookstore.  What a beautiful novel!  My heart ached for the main character.  Wow!  That's all I can say.  I should have read it immediately after Mom told me to read it.  Oh boy, it's a good one!  5/5 stars from me. 

3.  The Prodigal God by Tim Keller

3116205

Tim Keller is a really smart guy that knows a lot about Jesus.  He writes about the story of the Prodigal Son.  If you have been in church for more than a minute, you know this Bible story.  We all know about the younger son, how he squanders his father's inheritance, and how the father takes him back with open arms.   This book is called The Prodigal God because the definition for prodigal is to be recklessly extravagant, to give on a lavish scale.  We see the father do this for the son that left and returned.  Keller also teaches us about the older brother.  We always focus on the younger son but Jesus tells of a man with two sons.  Both are important in the parable.  The older brother is mad that the father is making such a big deal about the younger brother.  The father invites him to join in as well.  He wants both of his sons to know how much he loves them.  That's how God loves us, with reckless extravagance.  A must read!  You will see this parable that Jesus gives in a new light.  5/5 stars!

 4. It's Not Supposed to be This Way by Lysa TerKeurst

 38915855. sy475

I listened to this book on loan from the library.  Lysa is the narrator, which I always love.  Lysa TerKeurst is one of my favorite Bible teachers.  She went through a lot in a few years from almost dying because of a colon issue, to finding out her husband was unfaithful, and then getting breast cancer.  She wrote this book while some of this was going on so it was raw and emotional but also so full of hope.  If you have ever been through something hard or just want to be prepared for when hard things come your way, this is an excellent book.  4/5 stars.

5.  The Forbidden Tomb by Chris Kuzneski

19718803

This is the second book in a series.  I read The Hunters at the end of last year.  I liked it a lot.  A touch of action and adventure with a bit of history and interesting characters rolled into one.  The second installment was much the same.  I am glad that I started with the first book.  I would recommend reading these in order.  There is a lot of good character development in the first book that I think you'll miss if you read them out of order.  4/5 stars for this one.  

Overall, I have read some good books in the last month and a half.  I'm currently reading The Nightingale.  People keep telling me I'll cry and I wish they would stop!  It makes me not want to finish this book.  LOL!

Comments

Popular Posts